Monday, October 15, 2007

Random bits

Recent stuff off the top of my head:

Played at the Oasis tonight; we had something like 6 regulars + 3 subs. Played it to a tie, then went into OT, but with some 20 seconds left a player got injured, so we just let the clock run and called it a tie. I was vaguely perturbed (in an "I wish he knew better") by a teammate who seems to sometimes not be aware of where his teammates are, and sometimes makes a play despite the fact that someone else was already doing it. I was just about to do a quick wrist shot to get the puck out of our slot once, when he swooped by, took the puck from next to my stick, and chucked the puck elsewhere. He's not really that good of a player, I think he just saw a puck that needed to be moved, so he went in and moved it -- never mind that I was already there. Another time I was in the forward zone, standing on the point, tracking the play, when he slid into the point position -- right in front of me. I blink-blinked and slid over to even out the spacing, but -- he really seemed to not have noticed that I already had the area covered. Just kinda weird. *shrug*

Went to the Sharks game on Saturday -- I noticed from afar (we walk in from a distant but free parking lot) that the glass pyramid atop the entrance wasn't lit, and when we got there there was a big crowd of sort-of-in-lines people out front. We'd heard from the policeman directing traffic that there was a power outage. Since I suspect that most if not all of you know this general story, I'll skip a bunch of the details. :-) Basically eventually the lights came on, we went in, we sat in our seats with everyone else, there was a big pause, they Zamboni'd, G and I heard on the radio (which we listen to during the game) that we were still on generator power. Which was impressive, for all that -- there were a LOT of lights on, plus the jumbotron, though the pretty video strips they have around the edge of the arena and above & below the jumbotron were still dark. The delay was for about half an hour, then they skipped the pregame ceremony (it was the first home game of the season), the anthem, the player intros, everything, and went straight to the puck drop, probably because they were behind schedule and they didn't have the PA system up yet anyway. The game went on, the PA system slowly came back online (the very, very quiet sound of music which slowly got louder until it was normal strength -- everybody cheered), annnnnnnd...well, we were disappointed too at the last-minute-tie, then last-last-minute loss. Pth, oh well. Saw Shadow, Shadow's Shadow and B inbetween periods and on the way out, enjoyed saying hi and doing a quick gossip catchup with Shadow.

What else -- we've given up on catching the runaway calico, sigh. She hasn't been seen for more than a week. Her kittens are doing fabulously, though -- I've been working on the last skittish one (Daisy Rock), and she's slowly learning to come over to me for Many Wonderful Scritches, at which she purrs, but is still a little wary of The Hand -- I'm wondering if she had a bad experience when caught? Anyway...the other six are absolutely adorable, and mob me when I walk in, purring mightily and trying to clamber onto my shoulders to rub their faces against mine. Sometimes it's tough, this fostering thing.

Played in a Red game this past Sunday at Fremont. I was a D again, as I'm training up some of the new people. We had five (Betsy and I and 3 newbies) but we managed to do fine and in fact pulled off our first win 2-0, WOOOO! :-D My parents were there to watch. I chatted with them after the game, then packed up and went over for an impromptu dinner and some tea. I am looking forward to sharing in their pineapple guava and mandarin orange harvest this winter.

Spent a couple of hours in BBuy shopping for a high-def TV. Downside: We tried to buy a couple of discounted sets ('open item' and 'clearance') but for reasons beyond our control (and the poor sales guy's -- no, really) they, um, didn't have enough of the parts to actually sell us what we wanted to buy. However, we did end up getting a new set at a good discount -- and oddly enough, sold our tickets for this Thursday's Sharks game while we were at it. We considered putting them up to try and sell at a profit (Detroit is probably the only team we might be able to get away with that for), but...meh, sold 'em at face value to a random nice guy who could hold up his side of a hockey conversation.

I've been staying up late for the last couple of nights for various reasons...and it's getting to be towards 1am now, so I should boot myself offline and go to bed. Snarfdog, I'll try to take pics at tomorrow's woodshop class, but no promises. ;-) It's not very interesting-looking anyway...it's all still flat and rectangular! And the wood is redwood, which is ordinary-looking (though it makes for nice bright red sawdust).

Oops, almost forgot, gotta send off this SOW form for a vendor client in India so they can process it while I'm asleep. You'd think that we'd get past having a step that says "you must sign this (virtual) form and send it back". Sign it how? It's virtual! Turns out I'm supposed to write my signature onto a piece of paper, scan it into a gif, and then paste it onto the form. There has *got* to be a better way of officially approving virtual documents. :-P Someone invent something and patent it and give me 10%, will ya?

No comments: