Monday, July 20, 2009

PTO

I took 3 days of PTO (Paid Time Off) this week: Wednesday through Friday, as a ramp-up to the When The Ice Melts BBQ that we're hosting on Saturday.

Yesterday I also happened to have my follow-up meeting for my annual review with my manager. He wants me to spend significantly less time telecommuting, and more time in the office socializing with project people in person. While I can understand this, the fact remains that most of the people on my projects are not *in* California; not only that, but I'm always on 2-3 projects at once, and of course those people don't sit together on campus. And my projects change every 3 months or so. I'd love for my own group to be in the same place I am; as it is, three are in India, five are on the east coast, and 1-2 are in my location -- but I don't ever have projects with those 2. Or anything else in common, actually. So it sounds like I may be picking a likely projecty SJ person to hover around, coming in and having to find transient desk space every time. And then, I guess I spend a month just 'being around'. This assumes that there's a telecommuting spot remotely near where their office is in the building.

I can only imagine my productivity going down and my irritation with my environment (people having meetings in their cubes or in hallways, leaving their cell phones on their desks and wandering off...) going up. :-/

I guess I should just appreciate having a job right now and slog on.

Regardless, it kind of ruined my Wednesday. I didn't get much stuff done towards the BBQ; I think I watered the back yard, washed some foster towels, and polished a couple of small brass cats that I'd had on my to-do list for a while. BFHD.

And as I type this, I'm in an 8am work meeting. I'm apparently not good at this time off thing...maybe it's just too unfamiliar of a concept, I dunno.

*sigh*

I'm going back to sleep after this, since I got to bed late last night. Maybe things will look more positive on the other side. I've got cleaning to do.

No comments: