So I'm trying to feed our cats a total of two cans of wet food per day, plus a handful of dry. This is what the vet asked us to feed Jeeves, doubled.
Late this evening he spent some time just meatloafed in the family room, with an odd scowly expression on his face...hard to describe. I brought out a cat toy that I'd found in a drawer (a koosh on a wire) which Google had some fun with, but Jeeves only glanced at. Suspecting that Jeeves might have bonked on low blood sugar or something similar, I went up to the kitchen and prepped their fourth half-can, mixed with their usual kibble. It happens to be a new type of wet food. He moved around to follow me when I was preparing the food, but he moved a bit like he was being hunted, only much more slowly -- he was low to the ground, ears and tail low. When I opened the closet, he usually tries to sneak in to nibble on the broom bristles, but this time he tried to come in on the other side, as if to find shelter.
I wish, now, that I'd paid more attention to how much Jeeves ate, if any. When I looked over again, Google was enthusiastically eating, but Jeeves was just parked by the plate, doing nothing. I put a small pile of dry food next to him in case he was not liking the wet. He ignored it.
About 15 minutes ago, he seemed to come to life briefly, devouring the dry food pile and eating a few bites of wet, then crouching down again, still right there in the same spot next to the food plate. At least his ears are a little higher, suggesting that he at least has the energy and interest level to pay attention to the noises around him.
Update: Even as I was typing this, he twitched his ears a bit at some noise G made upstairs, got up to make a small stretch, then settled down again in a different body position. He's yawning a few times...and now apparently food is of interest again, as he's now working his way through the wet+dry food plate with his normal energy.
Annnd....now some minutes later, he sitting normally, moving at the normal pace, washing his whiskers.
I guess it could still be something like low blood sugar...food seems to make him feel himself again. It's still kinda weird. We'll continue to keep an eye on him.
No comments:
Post a Comment