Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pics

A couple of recent pics to share:

Here are my finished projects from the Intro to Veneering class, which I took with G on Monday & Wednesday of this past week.


The brown panel is made from two halves of sequence-matched veneer (== two adjoining slices of wood; you flip one and place it side by side with the other), edged with premade veneer strips and then some walnut. If we sat down and made our own veneer strips, about three weeks later we'd feel very special but be much poorer, and have enough for the next five years' worth of classes, so it seemed wise to just buy one strip for each of us for the purpose. The squares are "Louis Cubes", named after a French King with an overdeveloped taste for decoration. We cut the diamonds from maple, walnut and sapele, and carefully (there was much swearing around the table) glued them in with an interesting technique that involved coating the various components with diluted glue, drying them, pressing them together, then heating them with an iron to melt the glue and make it stick.

And here's one I took this evening:


It's my first pepper of the season, a purple sweet bell. It's almost half the height of the plant! I of course thought of Snarfdog, who has professed a weakness for photos of baby vegetables, so Snarfdog, here's your pic. :-) I hadn't expected to get a pepper so early, but there we are. G has already asked to have it when it's ready, which I'm happy to do. :-) I, uh, don't actually like bell peppers. It's a somewhat April-esque approach to food, I suppose. More for you guys. By the way, I hope you all like tomatoes. :-)

2 comments:

snarfdog said...

Thanks for the baby veggie pic - it's so cute!!

I love the veneers you did. Very pretty. You forgot to tell us what you're going to do with them though.

P.S.
We LOVE tomatoes. :)

McJedi said...

Re the veneers: To be honest, I'm probably going to just plunk them onto a pile of other class projects. The panels are more of a by-product of the learning rather than an end in themselves, and they're not really inherently complete enough to give as gifts.

I've considered using the walnut panel as the top for my upcoming box class, but it's a bit thicker than we'd ideally want, and is also IMHO looks too right-angle-y to properly complement the quilted maple I'm planning on using for the box sides.