Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Weekend

Friday we drove up to Rocklin (just past Sacramento) and stayed the night at a hotel I'd chosen. It was a lot cheaper than one closer to our ultimate destination, but on the other hand, neither downstairs "card key secured" door actually closed (what security?), our door usually took 2 tries for the handle to actually let us in, the card actually went red once and we had to have them reset, the fly screen had holes in it (good thing the weather was cool) and our room didn't come with a 'do not disturb' doorknob sign (though we were never disturbed). But to give them credit, the room had a fridge & microwave, the place was clean and stocked, the people were friendly, and it came with a free continental breakfast, so...it worked.

Saturday we drove north for one of G's old friends' surprise 40th birthday party. The friend was duly embarrassed, which of course was in itself fun, and we mostly had a good time. Well, G had a great time; my innards were still very upset with me, and I had the pleasure of listening to my middle sound like a thunderstorm every half hour or so, among other unpleasant effects. (TMI?) Um, the Elvis impersonator was amusing, and the weather was great. They also had an automated bubble-blowing machine, which was fun to watch.

Sunday we visited G's dad, who lives within an hour of the hotel. We were pleased to see that his sister & nephew were also there, along with another indirect relative, and they talked a lot and we had a great bbq for linner. We were also able to give his nephew a 2-wheeled skateboard and helmet that we'd bought for him for Xmas, which he loved. G's dad showed me a bunch of random antiques that he has, and an old Edison phonograph that he's restoring. I said I'd help him find price ideas for some of the antiques on Ebay (he doesn't have a computer *gasp!*). I think he enjoys sharing what he's currently into (and I enjoy listening), and it seems an easy way to make him happy.

Monday (yesterday) I was happy to conclude that I think I'm over the nasty digestion bug -- probably thanks to a combination of time and Immodium AD (L, thanks for the recommendation!)

The only remaining problem? Last night G came down with temperature regulation symptoms. I can only hope that he's not going to be in for the week that I just had. :-(

No comments: