Thursday, March 20, 2008

Eval report

How did eval session 1 go?

Meh, they (it?) went. Maybe I've been to enough of the things now that I'm jaded, or it was the weird thing going on with my appetite, or -- I dunno. It went ok. The spots I figured would be weak (quick reverses of direction and aiming my shot) were indeed still weak, and while I did ok keeping up with other skaters in the scrimmage, I knew my instincts as a forward (at least, when told to be one on short notice) still need some work, and even on D I got toasted once when I passed into the skates of an opponent right in front of me, and she took it past me and got a shot off. At another time, as a wing I managed to splat on the ice while hitting the puck, but kept it in. Yay, I kept it in, but bleh, I fell. Amy was my goalie for the scrimmage; this was a mixed blessing. She...is probably the person I get along with least in the league. You're probably surprised, because she's usually jovial and friendly and all that, but a couple of years ago she had a serious bug up her butt against me, and I've never been sure why. I managed to mostly fix it, but...we still avoid each other. And now I'm paranoid in the rare instances when I'm playing D for her. I want to make sure things really go well for her in net, but am fairly sure that she's going to think extra-badly of me if I mess up. Which I did -- I heard her say "What the _____!" behind me when the other D and I managed to knock it away from an opponent in the slot, only to have neither of us pick it up, and another opponent got it and took a shot. She froze it and got a whistle, and held up the puck in her glove to be taken. I took it, grinned, and said "Sorry for the half-assed D job," tossed the puck to the ref, and went to the bench to change.

I'm trying. But I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable around her, feeling like she's going to get ticked at me if I mess up, and never say anything positive regardless of how well I do.

But anyway. Next topic.

Had a nice time with some friends last night; ate tons of weird pot-stickers and played some Guitar Hero for the first time.

Today my body aches more from the Tuesday evals than it did yesterday. How does *that* work? On the other hand, my digestion is still happy (though I think it did a blink-blink at the pot stickers), and I ate a normal amount of lunch today. G's body temp still sometimes does minor weird fluctuations, but he thinks he's fighting off the rest of whatever it was that I had. Huzzah!!!

No comments: