I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate our new house -- specifically, how nifty it is to be able to have sunlit bird baths and a bunch of greenery outside of my office window. Just this morning and early afternoon alone, I've seen:
- a flock of 5-6 bushtits
- two cowbirds
- a mourning dove
- a goldfinch
- a Bewick's wren, on the ground/in the underbrush, with a huge fluttery moth in its beak; it kept releasing it to try to get a better hold, and the moth would frantically fly off a foot or two -- the wren would zip after it and catch it again to continue the battle for another three rounds before, I think, the wren won, as he disappeared into the underbrush and did not return.
Also:
- a hummingbird, sitting on my feeder on the back porch, taking a long drink
And the scrub jay hasn't been by yet, but I am expecting him later this afternoon. The ravens that fly overhead and the mockingbird who spends his (our) evenings advertising his prowess don't really count.
I am certainly enjoying the show! Some dog-owning hockey friends of mine have given me a bag of very soft and clean fur from their last brushing, and I have put that in a suet cage and hung it on my back porch, with a bit of fluff temptingly dangling off of the side. We'll see if I get any takers. I may need to attach it to a post or somesuch so that that the non-hoverers can land on it.
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment