Sometimes it's nice to be a medical oddity.
I may have mentioned that my pupils dilate wider than average; for most people they expand out to ~6mm in the dark, while mine go to 8mm -- or something like that; these numbers are based on one of those free Las.ik eye exams I had done in college. Accordingly, I think mine don't contract as far either, meaning that (lucky me) I'm more sensitive to bright light because I can't compensate, to the point where broad daylight without sunglasses is painful. :-/ My mother's always telling me to take my sunglasses off for outdoor photos, and this is why I'm reluctant to!
On the other hand, I have great night vision; G's always having me go first into movie theaters because I can easily ascertain where the open seats are.
Oh, and when I'm at the optometrist's for an exam, as I was this morning, I don't need eye dilation drops, because my eyes happily dilate far enough on their own to get the dilation test done. And so I get to drive home again unhindered, and I can skip the 4-6 hours of light sensitivity that the drops give you. I'll take that.
In other news, the new quarter of woodshop started yesterday. We're now teaching an Intermediate class, where each student will be doing their own thing. G and I will be starting off by trying to finish all of our unfinished projects! G was able to finish assembling his willow table, and I chatted with students about their plans, and then later chatted with M about my clock and what the next steps will be -- all of which, of course, involved equipment that will need to be brought to the shop by M next week, such as self-centering drillbits (ok, so that's not strictly *needed*...) and a jack plane. I have a smaller hand plane, but unfortunately I haven't learned how to sharpen it yet, so I'll have to borrow a waterstone, an angle jig, and a lesson from M.
[a short time later...] Typing the above caused me to look online for a chart mapping wood screw sizes to pilot hole diameters. I printed it out for next week's class, then hopped over to The Sawdust Shop's class schedule to salivate a bit. I've taken several classes there; it's where we learned to turn pens. If money were no object, I'd definitely take some more of those classes so I could develop more confidence around the shop and add to the list of stuff that I can instruct knowledgeably about.
1 comment:
I'm jealous! I had to have my eyes dilated yesterday afternoon and I was all WAAHHHHH until I woke up this morning. :D :D
Post a Comment