Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Misc updates

Okay, I'm putting a bunch of little updates in one post, because -- well, they're short. I'm too tired to make a bunch of longer ones. :-)

Went to a very fine 21st annual cookie party on Saturday. Lots o' fun as usual, and we even managed to drag a friend along. As we suspected, it takes one woman...or *two* men...to make one batch of cookies.

G's coming down with a cold. Sigh. If we got it at the cookie party (which would be about right), then I figure I'll either fight it off or be telling y'all in a couple days that I'm sick. :-P He was stressed last week at work though, so it makes sense that he'd end up being the one to catch something.

Me, I ended up skating 4 games in 6 days, all on D -- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. It's tournament practice, I tell ya. Was a bit creaky this morning (Monday), but am generally doing just fine, thank you. :-)

Friday's game was a scrimmage with the Burninators, against one of the Lady Sharks teams. It was fierce, but also Thursdaylike, in a way. IMHO our forwards were skating a bit on the defensive side, but given that we only lost 0-2, I'd say it was a good practice for us.

Before the game, some of us got together and had dinner for Viv's bday. I brought her some crack brittle, with the promise of more as soon as I can coat it. ;-) The Ghiradelli got some good reviews in Cook's Illustrated, maybe I'll use that for this second batch instead of the Scharffenberger 62% that I usually use. Ah, the joys of tempering chocolate...

Sunday's game was me subbing last-minute in Red, and both teams had Blue(!) goalies. Yes, it ended in a tie, but surprisingly enough, a 2-2 tie. I managed to fit an end-to-end run in there to shoot on said goalie (woo!) and thought I did well. I still stink at scoring, but I think I'm being sufficiently frustrating on D, heh.

Didn't end up on a 3-on-3 team for the tournament this Saturday; had 3 other excellent skaters on tap, but no goalie -- they all seem to be already playing, or are out of town. Bah! Sok though, it means I'll get to go to a good friend's holiday open house and the Sharks game instead!

Work this month remains tedious, unrewarding, high-pressure, and...sometimes just makes me want to say forget it, throw down some of the vast quantity of stored-up PTO that I have down, and walk out until January. I want to go out and play in the rain!

1 comment:

snarfdog said...

Mmmmmmmm, tempering chocolate. Oh wait, was there more to that post? Couldn't get past the chocolate coated brittle. ;)