Hello! Thought I would share a couple of photos from last night's woodshop; I actually got some time in after class to work on my project from last quarter's Intermediate class, a cherry 3-legged stool with some interesting wedged mortise-and-tenon joinery. When I decide to try to do the current class's project, I invariably fall behind as I'm busy answering questions, etc. So here I am, a quarter later, still catching up -- but at least it's a smidge further along than the previous quarter's project, which I hope to show completion photos of in the future! Here is the stool, showing the work I did yesterday on it:
Yesterday's work involved using a flush-cut saw to trim off the tenons on the seat, on the stretchers, and on the plugs on the outside of each leg. So huzzah, the stool is now sit-on-able! I can sit on the edge of it comfortably, with my feet on the ground, or if I sit atop it properly, my feet don't quite reach the ground. I'm not sure whether it's too tall yet, but it's always possible to make it shorter (not taller), and making it shorter would actually be a bit tricky due to the angles involved, so we'll keep it as-is for now.
The next step is to do some final trim on the tenon work with a sharp chisel, sanding the thing, and then putting on finish. I'm pondering polyurethane because it might live in a kitchen, with dripped sauces, etc.


No comments:
Post a Comment