Thursday, February 09, 2012

Making waves

My bird bath caught my eye this morning; the surface was sloshing back and forth, which was odd. I looked around at the trees -- no, there didn't seem to be any gusty winds or anything. Hmm...earthquake, I suppose? Hardly likely. So....

"DOINK!"

Ah. Yes, that would do it. Hello.

On cue, a scrub jay zipped over to the bird bath, paused, cocked his head, and then hopped in like a kid jumping into a kiddie pool, fluttering madly, water flying everywhere. Just as quickly, he hopped out, shook himself, and zipped away again.

Well, good morning!

I gave a quick glance at the water level; it was a bit lower, but still, I think, within goldfinch reach. I'll have to keep an eye on it if Mr. Q-bert is going to make morning baths a regular occurrence.

I've also been hearing chickadees in the trees this morning as I was busy sleeping in (such bliss!). I haven't seen them at the bird bath yet. I wonder when they're going to join the party?

No comments: