Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Eye update

I had a checkup with my optometrist yesterday evening; she said that my left eye looks completely healed, and my right eye has improved so that only a line in the middle of what used to be the open wound (she used the word 'divot' *shiver*) remains, with a white pocket of white blood cells behind it that she expects will get re-absorbed into the body over the next few months. She has reduced my meds to 4 times a day in just the one eye for the antibiotics, and twice a day for the steroids, again, just the one eye, plus generous use of regular eyedrops to keep the area moist. This is all just through Friday, then she wants to see me a week after that to confirm that I'm completely healed before she will let me wear my contacts again. Also of note was that my vision (using a pair of eyeglasses from 2004) was not as good as when I had my contacts in during my initial visit. The doctor blamed it on my eyes being a bit swollen.

I managed to nudge the next appointment to Thursday of next week, in the hope that I get approved before my Oasis game. :-} As it is, I have an Oasis game tomorrow, and my first Maroon (Maroon!) game of the new season on Friday, at which it seems I will have to wear my glasses. Lovely.

I suspect that my next eyeglass frame purchase may be prescription sunglasses, as during all this time if I go outside during the day, I am obliged to wear an oh-so-fashionable plastic shield behind my regular glasses. I feel like The Invisible Woman -- in my head I have the image of the Man with his head covered in bandages, and a pair of rounded tinted glasses behind which there are no eyes. So it seems I will be trotting about for two weeks with this fine plastic shield, trying not to feel self-conscious. Just call me "fashion-forward". Somewhere in this experience, I'm sure, is the moral that I should wear my glasses more often (== my contacts less often), which would undoubtedly be helped by having a prescription set handy.

Oh, and some mornings I find myself feeling a bit nauseous...I'm guessing from the antibiotics. I decided to have some acidophilus with my breakfast today for that reason (or as G and I joke, "Would you like some microorganisms?"). Perhaps I'll have a yogurt later. Nausea, I am finding, puts a serious dent in the whole "get up and go" morning work idea.

I woke up today at something like 8:30am when G left for work, and my eyes felt yucky. I put in some regular eye drops (approved by the eye doctor: no preservatives, and individually packaged), and tried to read. I couldn't get my eyes to focus on the words (which was a bit disturbing), so with the happy coincidence of no morning meetings to go to, I dozed for another couple of hours, punctuated by Google using my bed as a steeplechase course ('til I told him off), and Jeeves meowing in disappointment because he'd apparently been enjoying the entertainment up 'til then.

They had a vet appointment yesterday for their annual checkup; Google is in great health, and Jeeves "could use a dental cleaning" and "a few rounds with a laser pointer". He's only a pound over ideal weight for his size (large), but I'm not surprised that he's a bit heavier than Google, given how active our cheerful steeplechaser is by comparison. I think Jeeves is 11 pounds and Google 10. I'm not really worried, though; I suspect they're still teenagers in cat years, and will be growing like a teenager grows into an adult in the next year or so. I have heard that the larger, forest-y breeds that they resemble can take 3 years or so to mature.

Yeah, I feel better thinking about my cats than I do thinking about my eyes. I haven't even inflicted any of the many obvious eye puns on you yet -- that should prove to you that I'm concerned about it!

No comments: