Thursday, May 08, 2008

Solar trash compactor

I was walking over to another work building to drop off a card (NCWHL-related, oddly enough...it's a small world!), when I stopped short at the building doorway. It had a garbage can next to it, a boxy rectangular thing, and the top was covered in solar panels. WTH? Is the door motorized or something? What is this silliness? I looked more closely, and noticed labeling that indicated that it was a trash compactor. (blink, blink) Okey. Um, cool! And rather geeky. But it's solar, so it's cool, yes.

I hope to have solar panels at my place eventually. As soon as we have a roof that I'd trust with the weight of it. :-P On Earth Day, my company had a little faire where lots of eco-related companies had their booths, and I noticed one solar company was basing their business strategy on *leasing* the panels, on the principle that the $$ you paid them each month was offset by the savings you'd get in electricity. They'd maintain it, and you'd be doing good for the environment. An interesting thought.

No comments: