Monday, January 22, 2007

Temperature woes

So 2-3 years ago, a pebble hit my car windshield in the lower right-hand corner, creating an upwards line-crack some 8-10" long. I sealed it the following day, and it hasn't moved since then; I know this because I've kept a tiny little fingerprint on the inside of the glass where the crack stops. Yay, it worked.

On the way to dinner this past Friday, I commented to G in dismay that the crack had lengthened by another 3", up and to the left. Ack! I made another little fingerprint to track it.

On the way home, I was chatting with G when I interrupted myself in in mid-sentence to point out that the crack was now about TWO FEET longer, across the center of my windshield, a hairline glimmer visible when we passed under the streetlights. "Guess I won't be repairing this one..." *sigh*

We figure the recent cold temps must have broken the old repair job's seal, the crack started going again, and the temperature difference (differential?) between the cold outside air that night and the heat coming through the defroster vents must've done the rest while we were eating. Interesting but...dangit. :-)

[Edit: Okay, the bigger crack extension turned out to only be a foot more, not two feet. It's amazing how surprise can exaggerate the memory! And yes, it's just as well that I'm considering a new car, though obviously I'll have to replace the windshield if I intend to try to sell the old one. :-P]

1 comment:

andrea said...

good thing you're about ready for a new car, eh? ;o)