I don't normally pay much attention to Easter, with the exception of using Lent as an excuse to give up something bad for me for however-long-it-is, and of course buying a Cadbury egg or three, which I've loved since I was a kid -- even though they're so sweet that I can only eat half at a sitting.
<tangent> I remember being disappointed as a kid when my parents decided to stop doing anything for Easter any more (gift and chocolate egg hunt) because I was "too old". The same thing happened with stockings at Christmas -- one year it was just stopped. If I ever end up with kids, I like to think that any tradition where the kid is given a gift should be replaced with a new one, not removed. Not having stockings/Easter events diminished the fun of the holiday for me, somehow. Fortunately G's side of the family still does stockings, never mind the whole lack of kids things -- everybody brings a $10 wrapped gift for everyone else. I love it. :-)</tangent>
This year the arrival of Easter was kind of nice because it meant that G got Friday and Monday off -- because they're UK holidays! His new computer arrived on Thursday, so he's been happily spending the weekend setting it up. I don't have much to do at work this week, so we walked downtown for lunch, dropping by the library, bank, and the Thrift Box, where I found a nice little blown-glass green vase from Poland for $2 that was nicely weighted at the bottom, and a new one of those fluffy shower thingies on a string for 50c; both would work well in our guest bathroom. Came home with another nice lot of books to read and DVDs to watch, including a documentary on pirates that I found at the library. Reading 'Kydd' and watching 'Master and Commander' recently has put me in a sort of historical pirate-y mood, arr! It was fun to watch M&C now that I can follow more of the nautical conversation, such as the terms for the various masts and sails and why they're approaching the enemy ship in a particular way and so on. (Oh no, my horizons are broadening again!!)
Obligatory hockey mention: I don't have any Red for another week, so I skipped both RWC games this week to give my knee a period of rest; it worries me. Knees are important! :-) I'm sleeping with a pillow under my knee and icing the underside for an hour every once in a while, and taking ibuprofen twice a day. Anytime I have to do something unexpected (like dance around to avoid stepping on a cat), I get a sizeable twinge. And of course nothing unexpected *ever* happens in hockey. :-P Muttermutter.
No comments:
Post a Comment