Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Status update

Not much different. Saw 'Nanny McPhee' in the theaters last week (very funny and lighthearted, go see it!), and 'Brokeback Mountain' (talk about an 'R' rating -- but good to see it both in the mainstream theaters and receiving very good reviews) this week. Played hockey Thursday (semifinals: had fun but lost), Saturday (another semifinal, had fun -- got to play against Viv, Andrea & Lucinda! -- but lost) and Sunday (had the most fun; tied after OT 2-2. Karen and I each assisted on each other's goals. :-) ) Went out to City Beach afterwards with a bunch of teammates; we hadn't done that all season, and it was fun. I was surrounded by a scary number of doctorates, though! Those darn smart people. ;-)

I'm torn as to whether to try out for maroon. Not because I don't think I have a chance, but because I might make it. I tried out last season, and didn't make it, and became a Captain again instead, and ended up with an absolutely fabulous coach, goalie and team. I know I won't get the same luck again; if for no other reason, the coach won't be coaching. In fact, I'm not sure anybody will be coaching. I was a forward the majority of this season, and learned some good strategy, but had the advantage/disadvantage of the same small pool of linemates each time. So now I know I can work with -them-, but would say I definitely need more experience working with other people, and work on my breakaways; I'm so shocked that I'm out there 1-0 that 90% of the time, I miss the net completely! Way to go, Jedi. :-) *hastily stuffs padawan braid under helmet* So I think another season as a Red forward would be good for me. I'd hoped for more maroon sub ops this past season, but...then again, I could have crashed the games and didn't, so my own fault there. So...I dunno. I may just stay in Red this season unless someone complains. :-}

Today is Arborist Day. No, not Arbor Day, Arborist Day, because I have an Arborist over making a significant dent in my 3-story backyard cedar, reducing it to a 2-story. This is because the darn thing was planted 40 years ago on the fence line, and now grows into power lines, and is thus significantly Y-shaped. We talked with the guy about a year and a half ago about its health, and he recommended we significantly shorten it to reduce the stress on the trunk; I agreed, so now that it's the right season and financial year (sorta) for it, we're having it done. I'm also going to get his recommendations about what to replace two young trees with; they were planted by a neighbor trying to sell his house (classic, no?) when they were about a foot tall, and now they're 2-stories tall and happily producing zillions of little berries, which are producing (and, says the arborist, will continue to produce) zillions of little baby trees around our property. So if I can persuade the neighbor that it's a good idea (he doesn't garden), I'll dig 'em up and either leave the space as-is, or if he wants a screen/divider there (I don't care, it shades *his* garden, not mine), plant something new.

Downside to all these recent home improvements: $$$

Upside: G's been promised a change from contractor to vendor status. :-D It's not benefits, but yay, he'll go from a time-bound contract to indefinite work as a vendor. It's definitely a step in the right direction -- it has not been fun to have unemployment on the horizon. Not just for the total income thing, but our life is much easier when both of us feel like we're contributing equally.

No comments: